First, we would like to thank our Lay Leader, Pat Friese, for leading both meetings. Secondly, we would like to thank all church members who were able to attend the meetings and share their hopes, dreams, love for our church and ask questions. We sincerely hope that we have satisfied all areas of concern. If not, please don’t hesitate to talk with, call or email any member of the VCI team.
Summarizing the most discussed points:
- There is no cost to First United Methodist Church Hemphill for the services of the coach, the leader of the Day of Prayer and Repentance service, the services of a communications expert, the leader of the Visioning Workshop, nor the coaching assistance to our pastor.
- All of these services are provided by the Texas Conference.
- No one is required to attend additional meetings. The process that our prescriptions recommend include piggy-backing existing ministry teams. However, we are aware that there will be church members who vibrantly wish to jump on board. They will be warmly welcomed!
- Some of the prescriptions create a one-time, limited time only team.
- There is urgent need for our church to look forward to keep our church going and growing.
- All of the books read by the original VCI team are available for any church member to read.
The “Why” behind Vibrant Church Initiative
· The reasons vary from church to church as to why 29 congregations in the Texas Annual Conference have said “yes” to enrolling in the Vibrant Church Initiative process over the last three years. For the VCI team here at First United Methodist Church Hemphill one of the reasons is the desire for our church to thrive instead of just survive.
- We, the team members, are praying that others in our congregation will have the same vision and the interest in expanding our faith responses to enhance our discipleship opportunities.
- Here at FUMC Hemphill we have already finished the first two components of the process. This is the last step of the journey to experiencing the benefits of learning within the coaching culture offered through the Vibrant Church Initiative.
Key points to remember:
- There will be a vote at the called church conference on March 6. Only church members will be able to vote; all voters must be present at the conference.
- The prescriptions will be voted on in their entirety.
Please be in prayer for our church. Most wonderful God, Holy Father, Precious Son, Holy Spirit, be with us in this process of renewal. As you breathed life into us in the very beginning, we pray for new life to be given to us. May we, in this time of discernment, be given the wisdom to seek a new, powerful vision for our community of faith. Bring us closer together as sisters and brothers, and enlighten us to your ways. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray, Amen.
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Romans 12:11-13 (NIV)
Yours in Christ, The VCI team